Sunday 12 April 2009

Books in the Bathroom.

Here is the lsit of books currently housed in the bathroom, ( I like to read in the bath). All but one has been read. I'll start with that one, the rest run in no particular order:

The Story of Forgetting, Stefan Merrill Block
A Thousand Splendid Suns, Khaled Hosseini
The Last Gospel, David Gibbins
I Never Fancied Him Anyway, Claudia Carroll
The Book Thief, Markus Zusak
The Island, Victoria Hislop
The Ambler Warning, Robert Ludlum
The Woman in the Fifth, Douglas Kennedy
The Bookshop, Penelope Fitzgerald
The Book Of Answers, Carol Bolt
The Other Side Of You, Sally Vickers
The New Testament And Psalms, ( the one you used to get handed out free at school)
When Will There Be Good News, Kate Atkinson
The Brutal Art, Jesse Kellerman
The Road Not Taken And Other Poems, Robert Frost
The House At Riverton, Kate Morton
The Jesus Dynasty, James D. Tabor
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins.

And last but by no means least...Collins Concise Dictionary & Thesaurus.

Do you think the bathroom is a strange place to house a mini library? I don't. There is little room left elsewhere for storing my books. I have downscaled tremendously, but I miss them. My books are the gateways to other worlds. My escapism. It's the ultimate experience for the curious voyeur into the minds, lives, thoughts and ideas of others.
And if I take an hour or two out in a crowded house, it's to the bathroom that I will head. Watch the bubbles multiply as the bath fills with warm water. Lock the door. Forget the stresses and strains of the mundane, of work, of being a mother, a partner, a friend, a daughter, a sister, a counsellor, a brute.

When I had my son almost 13 years ago now, my Mother gave me some words of wisdom, " No matter what, never forget you." And so sometimes , that's where I am, in the bathroom with the door locked. Don't be offended if you knock and I don't answer. I'm just being me.

4 comments:

mishel said...

wow that is alot of books! do you have a bookself in there?
i like buying books way more than i like buying clothes!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to have a bookstore in the bathroom but there is no room. Besides that the kids are always in and out so taking a bath is not relaxing.

I have 'Brutal Art' but have not gotten around to reading it yet. The one I do fancy is 'A Thousand Splendid Suns'. I read some reviews of that and it really appeals to me.

All the best

Nechtan

David Paterson said...

Lynne, maybe the disgraceful attacks that are happening on the public library network in this country could be headed off by combining them with swimming baths....??

Just a thought :-)

BTW your blog is brill... wish I had the get up and go to do one!

Anonymous said...

if you have the last gospel in electronic format could you share it with me

Post a Comment